Monday, May 31, 2010

Book Review: Dream Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Summary:  In the ethereal world of dreams, there are champions who fight to protect the dreamer and there are demons who prey on them...

Arik is such a predator. Condemned by the gods to live eternity without emotions, Arik can only feel when he’s in the dreams of others. For thousands of years, he’s drifted through the human unconscious, searching for sensation. Now he’s finally found a dreamer whose vivid mind can fill his emptiness.

Dr. Megeara Kafieri watched her father ruin himself and his reputation as he searched to prove Atlantis was real. Her deathbed promise to him to salvage his reputation has now brought her to Greece where she intends to prove once and for all that the fabled island is right where her father said it was. But frustration and bad luck dog her every step. Especially the day they find a stranger floating in the sea. His is a face she’s seen many times.... in her dreams. 


My Review:   One of my friends recently chided me for having never read Sherrilyn Kenyon in all my reading, so I attempted to start with the Dark Hunter series through my library, but after months on hold, it was removed from their catalog (the horrors), so I finally added the Dream Hunter series to my requests and I'm glad I did.

I loved the Greek mythology mixed into the current day world. I loved that no one in these books - gods or not - was perfect in any way, but not inherently evil either. The main characters were compelling. Geary was smart, wary, and while she kept her guard up emotionally, she loved those in her life fiercely. And of course, Arik has his own interesting story of wanting to experience emotion and moving from his own selfish needs to an act of selflessness and trust.

This is one of those books that proves how a typical writing trope can be used well in the hands of a good writer. I'm intrigued to continue on with this series (when the library will let me have the book - sometimes it's hard being at the hands of the library gods).

My only recommendation is not to follow my lead if you start this series. I would suggest starting with the Dark Hunter series. While it wasn't a major part of the storyline, at times I felt like certain scenes would've packed more umph if I knew the dark hunter background.

Very good read from start to finish.

No comments: