Monday, October 11, 2010

Review: Dayhunter by Jocelynn Drake

I'll continue to play catch up on the other YA books and such as I go, but I might as well post the latest book I finished.


Title: Dayhunter by Jocelynn Drake

Summary:  A new day dawns blood red .



A master of fire, Mira is the last hope for the world. For centuries she has secretly enforced the history-altering edicts of the Triad. Now she and her unlikely ally—the human vampire hunter, Danaus—have come to Venice, home of the nightwalker rulers. But there is no safety in the ancient city, for the threat of conflict is in the wind...with unholy alliances and earth-shattering betrayals taking hideous form in the shadows.

Banished for eons beyond the world's boundaries, the malevolent naturi prepare to feed once again upon a vulnerable earth—and treachery is opening wide the portal that will enable their dread re-emergence. The great battle that has always been Mira's destiny is looming, and she must remain powerful in the face of a shocking revelation: that Danaus, the only creature she dares to trust, is something more than the man he claims to be.

My Review:  This book picks up immediately after the first book and continues with storyline set up in the first one. While there is reminders of what happened during the first book spread throughout this novel, I doubt you would want to pick this up without having read the first one. 

Despite the way the first one ended, with a huge battle, there wasn't much action in this book.  It seemed to focus more on the whys and hows of some of the information discovered in the first book as well as setting up for some interesting choices on the the part of Mira in the remainder of the series. 

I still love the character of Mira and her fight against everyone trying to have control over her (including her inner monster/past) and sometimes feeling like it's such a lost cause. I love that as much as she says she doesn't care for anyone but herself and getting to her home, she continually proves otherwise.

Her "relationship" with Danuas continues to be enjoyable, including her attempts to break his rigid moral code.  I like that the one person she can even trust a bit is someone she would normally consider her enemy and those that she spent years depending on have turned out to be nothing like she thought.

I think my favorite thing about this series is the way the author writes the settings. The description and emotions evoked makes it so easy to envision and get lost in the places.  My biggest issue with this book was that it felt like a huge information dump throughout most of it. It has a great premise and storyline in place, but we barely saw any movement forward.  However, I'm willing to continue with the series because I'm intrigued to see how all this information comes into play and what happens next. And, again, I really do like Mira and I'm a girl who will stick with a lot for a interesting character.

Overall:  3 stars

No comments: