Monday, February 22, 2010

books, books, books


My brother and sister-in-law have a reading blog, the Kansas Reading Society, so check it out if you're like me and always looking for new books to read.

I just started reading Graceling by Kristen Cashore.  I'm only three chapters in as I started it last night, but so far, so good.  It's really hard to come up with much in the way of discussion when you're not very far into the book. 

I did recently finish both Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan and Last Words by George Carlin.  Opposite of Fate was a great read.   It's essays of Amy's life and how it affected not only who she is now, but the writer that she became.  I love the way she puts sentences together, she's obviously someone who loves language and it shows in her writing.  I think this is a book that anyone can relate to - we all have family tales - but if you're a writer or wannabe writer, I always enjoy learning about another's creative process. 

Last Words managed to be funny, interesting, and sad.  It's a reminder of the great comic genius that we lost.  Again, George Carlin was a man who loved words  and the meaning that simply the way you phrased a sentence could bring great connotations to it.  Plus, he never failed to make me laugh.  My favorite still remainds, "You can get on the plane, I'm going to get in the plane."

No comments: