Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reviews: Beastly and the Lonely Hearts Club

I've read a few more books toward the YA Challenge for 2011.

Book 5/12

Title: Beastly by Alex Finn

Summary:  I am a beast.

A beast!

Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.

My Review:  It was okay is really all I can think to say about this book. I like the idea of going inside the Beast's (Kyle/Adrian) head and seeing the journey he's on. But it all felt slightly off. I can't really explain it, but I didn't feel like I was with the character as he went through the loss of his identity (evil as it was), the sullen and lonely times, and learning to be better. And everything with Lindy just seemed too easy. I do realize it's based on a fairy tale, but still.

It wasn't bad and it might be amazing for some readers, there was just something that left me feeling disconnected and not really caring about how things turned out for the characters.

Overall:  2 stars





Book 6/12


Title: The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Summary:  Love is all you need...or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows - no more. It's a personal choice...and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born; The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways...which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...

My Review:  This was a cute quick read. I loved the use of the Beatles lyrics and the way the book was sectioned off based on various Beatles songs - so fitting for the character. I think Penny Lane Bloom is a great character and I love her journey to figure out who she is as a person all brought on from heartache and the formation of a club that takes off. I really love that by the end she, with help from her friends, realizes that it's all about balance. I wish I was that smart when I was sixteen.

Quick, fun read. No surprises, no big plot, mostly just an interesting journey for an interesting character. My favorite kind of book when done right.

Overall:  4 stars

No comments: