Thursday, January 27, 2011

Review: Magic in the Shadows

As I continue with Lazy Girl Read's Mini-Challenge, where I have to read four books - something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. 

Book 2/4 - something borrowed (from Camden County Library, which I love and adore)


Title: Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom #3) by Devon Monk

Summary:  Allison Beckstrom's magic has taken its toll on her, physically marking her and erasing her memories-including those of the man she supposedly loves. But lost memories aren't the only things preying on Allie's thoughts. 

Her late father, the prominent businessman-and sorcerer-Daniel Beckstrom, has somehow channeled himself into her very mind. With the help of The Authority, a secret organization of magic users, she hopes to gain better control over her own abilities-and find a way to deal with her father...

My Review:   I really enjoy the Allie Beckstrom novels. I had to originally put this book down as I was at the will of the library and got swamped. But once I'm able to get into these books, I really enjoy the stories and want to keep reading it until the end. This book fleshes out the world of magic much more and the world that Allie's boyfriend, Zayvion, was a part of. I really love the way the history and universe of magic these books has put into motion. I'll admit the fact that Allie's dad is residing in her head is more than a little creepy - but it's supposed to feel that way, so the reader reacts the same way Allie does at many moments.

What I love most about these books is the character of Allie. She's tough and smart, but she still gets scared and isn't invincible. And despite all of these things, she still throws herself into harm's way when someone is in danger. She cares about people, more than she'd like to admit, and it shows with her choices, even when they backfire. 

She's still learning and making mistakes, but it usually comes from a good place.

And really, I'm nothing if not a reader who is loyal to characters I love, especially strong female characters.

Overall: 4 stars 

1 comment:

La Toya said...

Ahh very cool, this sounds like a series I'd like!!

Happy Friday!!

xo,
Lah @ LazyGirl Reads