Friday, January 7, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy

I'm off to a good start for the 2011 Young Adult Challenge.  My goal is to read 12 books.  One a month.  I can do that, right?

Book 1/12

Title: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Summary:  Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours. 

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. 

So much for normal.


My Review:  I think what made this book so very good was the main character in Evie. She's spunky and determined, so sure of herself at times, but beneath that, she really doesn't know much about who she is and worries about how others view her. It's typical teenager feelings, but with the added bonus of being a one-of-a-kind paranormal. 

I was hooked right from the first scene, where she kicks butt with her pink taser and brings in a vampire. Slowly, you learn about her life in the IPCA and, with Lend's appearance, the reader, like Evie, becomes aware that things are hardly as they seem. 

One of the other main things I really enjoyed about this book is the slower evolution of Evie's relationship with Lend. It doesn't happen over night. There is attraction and curiosity, but everything develops over the course of time rather than that knocks-you-on-your-feet immediate kind. 

My only criticism - though it's not much of one, maybe more like a mini-complaint of sorts, as it didn't really take away from the book - was that the author provided the readers with so much build up, such a great plan set into motion, and the resolution was over so fast. I understand that part of that is because we are seeing things from Evie's perspective, but I felt the slightest bit cheated, like I wanted more explanation than we got.

Still loved it.


Overall: 5 stars

No comments: