Friday, January 7, 2011

Review: Sleepwalk With Me

I signed up for Lazy Girl Read's Mini-Challenge, where I have to read four books - something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.  And I'm starting with something blue.

Book 1/4 - something blue (the cover! Total cop-out, I know!)

Title: Sleepwalk With Me by Mike Birbiglia

Summary:  Grown out of Mike Birbiglia's critically acclaimed one-man show, SLEEPWALK WITH ME is the hilarious story of the perils and pitfalls of being Mike.

My Review:   I love Mike Birbiglia. He is one of my favorite comics and this book definitely didn't disappoint as a fan of his work. He has always been the storyteller type of comic and it still works in the written form. However, I think this is one of those books that I wish had been available in audio format. Even though I could imagine his voice as the narrator, there were things that would have been so much funnier with his inflections and emotion behind it.  There was a little something missing in reading the text rather than hearing him tell me these stories.

It's also good to know that if you're a fan of Mike Birbiglia, some of the portions of this book have been featured in his stand-up and off-Broadway shows.  You might end up a little disappointed if you're looking for completely new material, but the new stuff does mesh well with the stories I'd heard before.

At the very least, it kept me giggling, which garnered strange looks from people.

Overall:  4 stars
 

1 comment:

La Toya said...

Omg, not a total cop out!! I mean, what could something blue mean beside, the cover or like...i dunno...a sad story or something?! HAHA Great review!!!

I'm hopping by to tell you that there's a linky that you can put your reviews in on my page now:

http://lazygirlreads.blogspot.com/2011/01/mini-challenge-2011-post-link-page.html

I've also added a little random prize at the end to show my gratitude of you all doing my challenge!!

xo,
Lah