Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 2: Reverb 10 (Writing)

Day late.  I kept thinking about my entry for Reverb 10 while I was at work and then I got home, had time and totally forgot.  Just whoosh.  Right out of my mind.  So I'm doing two entries today.  I'm wild and crazy (and forgetful) like that.


December 2nd:  What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

Procrastinate.  I know that is so big and all-encompassing, but I'm not sure how else to explain it.  My procrastination isn't at normal levels.  It's epic proportions, egged on by my random OCD tendencies.  So I'll say to myself, "Self, just take ten minutes and read your journal."  Next thing I know I'm retagging entries or going through my ITunes library to make sure every song is properly accounted for with information.  I know it's my own form of self sabotage before the fact.  I look so far into the future and surely, the writing will be terrible, so why even bother?  It's illogical and untrue.

While I'm not sure I can completely eliminate those feelings, I can definitely work on recognizing it more often and working on the why, in that moment, I'm doing it.  And maybe that will help me.

No comments: