Friday, December 17, 2010

Review: Undone

So the chances are not looking to good that I will actually finish the 2010 Young Adult Challenge, but I'm still going to keep reading as many as I can.  There are still two weeks left to the month, right?

This is book 6/12 for the YA Reading Challenge.

Title: Undone by Brooke Taylor

Summary:  When Kori Kitlzer, the “dark angel” of the 8th grade, tells Serena Moore that they are more alike than she thinks, Serena is instantly intrigued. As their friendship solidifies and their lives entwine, Serena tries to become more like the fearless, outspoken, and ambitious Kori. Soon Serena doesn’t know where she begins and Kori ends. But when a twist of fate yanks Kori away from Serena, she will need to find a way to complete her best friend’s life left undone.

Undone is a striking debut novel about friendship, family, and the secrets we keep from the people to whom we are closest.

My Review:  This book had me hooked from page one. I loved the narrator provided to us in Serena. She was sarcastic and cynical, but still loving and hopeful. She wanted so much, but sometimes had trouble believing it was possible - such a typical emotion at that age, especially after she's dealt a terrible tragedy.

I enjoyed the dynamic she had with her friends and allowing us to see those relationships made all the harder when catastrophe came about.

Serena's grief and determination are what make this book so great. The author never backs away from showing the horrible moments, the just-can't-stand-to-go-on moments, and writes them with such an authentic voice.

The mystery wasn't so much a mystery as I think everyone pretty much figures it out early on, but it's all part of the journey that Serena has to take.

I recommend this book to everyone. It's a quick read because you just don't want to put it down (even if it took me over a week from when I finished to do the review).  I absolutely loved it and look forward to more books from this author in the future.

Overall: 5 stars

No comments: